Hello all, I’m starting a new job and I need to purchase myself a laptop. Rather than spending a few hundred dollars on a cheap laptop that will get me by, I’m looking to spend roughly what I would pay for a new Macbook Pro (what I usually use) and get more value for my money.
* **Total budget and country of purchase:**
$2,200 USD, USA.
* **Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply.**
In order of importance: Specs, battery life.
* **How important is weight and thinness to you?**
Must fit in a backpack, otherwise it is irrelevant.
* **Which OS do you require? Windows, Mac, Chrome OS, Linux.**
Windows preferred. Will probably run a Linux VM or dual boot.
* **Do you have a preferred screen size? If indifferent, put N/A.**
At least 15″
* **Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run.**
Photoshop, Blender, Destiny 2, Steam, very rarely Daz Studio
* **If you’re gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?**
Destiny 2, Overwatch
* **Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?**
Needs to be durable. It’s going to be in and out of my backpack through airport security a lot. Several times month.
* **Leave any finishing thoughts here that you may feel are necessary and beneficial to the discussion.**
I’m essentially looking for a quality laptop that can run my games and 3D software while looking at least semi professional. “Gaming laptops” are OK as long as it’s tasteful. When I’m not on the road, I might consider using it for render jobs (do a lot more 3D stuff at home). Not sure if that factors in.